City of Kolín

Kolín was founded at about the second half of the 13th century by king Přemysl Otakar II. The Czech kings gave the town many rights and liberties, so Kolín flourished and added to its power and glory.
During the Hussite wars the Dominican monastery was burnt down and in its place the Castle of Kolín was built in 1437 by Hynek from Strážnice. Then it was used as a brewery and today it waits for reconstruction.
The Thirty-Year war meant the end of town prosperity. The town was devastated and the population was decimated by war, hardships and plague.
Near Kolín there was a battle of Seven-Year war between Austrian and Prussian troops on 18th June 1757.
Kolín recovered only with difficulty and slowly after the building of the railway from Olomouc to Prague in the middle of the 19th century.
The prosperity of the town was interrupted by both world wars, some factories, stations and houses were ruined and damaged, many inhabitants were killed or wounded. After the liberation in 1945 the town recovered very quickly.

Photos of the historical monument/places s can be found here: